You need tips to improve windows performance because windows systems are used to perform numerous tasks seamlessly. Despite that, it starts performing slow over time due to prolonged usage. Windows offers various built-in tools to deal with performance related issues. Let’s discuss ways to improve Windows performance instantly.
Table of Contents
5 Tips to Improve Windows Performance
What are the top 5 tips to improve windows performance across all windows based laptops and desktop computers running for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 & 10 user.
#1. Defrag Hard Drive
Disk defragmentation process helps you de-clutter and organize your fragmented disk efficiently. It helps you rearrange data so that the disk works more efficiently. Windows offer built-in utility to perform this action on all Windows versions.
In Windows 7
- Go to Start menu > search Disk Defragmenter and select it from the results.
- Under Current Status, choose the drive you want to defrag and tap on Defragment Disk button.
- It will instantly start defragmenting your disk and display results “0% Fragmented” next to selected drive.
In Windows 10
- Go to Start menu > File Explorer and choose the drive that contains Windows 10 operating system.
- Right-click on the selected drive > select Properties > Tools.
- Under Optimize & defragment drive section, tap on Optimize button. It will open a new window called “Optimize Drives”. Check whether the system drive (one which holds OS) is selected.
- Tap on Analyze button and wait until system completes analysis and display the percentage of fragmented files.
- Decide whether drives require fragmentation based on displayed fragmentation percentage and click on Optimize button to initiate defragmentation process of the selected drive.
- Let the process complete and restart your system.
#2. Manage Startup Programs:
Your system boot process may lag due to many unnecessary programs that run at boot time. These unnecessary programs include bloatware and many other unnecessary apps & services. You can manage all these startup programs using the built-in utility on Windows to speed up your system boot time.
On Windows 7
- Go to Start menu, search “msconfig” and select it from the given options.
- Under System Configuration windows, select Startup tab.
- It will display all startup items on your system that run during boot time.
- Uncheck the program that you don’t want to run during the boot process.
- Press Apply/OK and reboot your system.
On Windows 10
- Right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager. Alternatively, you can go to Start menu and search for Task Manager.
- Tap on “More Details” button to view full details.
- Tap on Startup tab to view and manage startup items.
- To disable any program, right-click on it and select Disable.
- Restart your system.
#3. Turn off Special Effects
On Windows 7
Source: Source: optimizemswindows
- Go to Start menu > search for Performance Information and Tools and select it from the results.
- Tap on Adjust Visual Effects option in the left pane and then Visual Effects tab.
- Now turn radio button ON of option called “Adjust for best performance” and press OK. Alternatively, you can select “Custom” option to manage special effects.
On Windows 10
To disable Transparency effect,
- Go to Start menu > Settings > Personalization.
- Under Colors, toggle off option called “make start taskbar and action center transparent”.
To disable special effects,
- Go to Start menu > System > Advanced system settings and select System Properties.
- Now select Settings and Performance option to open Performance options.
- Go to Visual Effects and select “Adjust for best performance” or “Custom” to manage visual and other special effects.
- Click OK to apply actions.
#4. Remove Bloatware:
Bloatware comes in the form of pre-installed apps and programs on your system. This lot of bloatware includes manufacturer based and third-party apps programs which you rarely use or intend to use in future. Thus, many of these programs remain on your system idle. These programs not only occupy precious storage space but it also affects your system speed & performance negatively.
Under these programs, you may find programs related to many unnecessary services like weather apps, money apps, photo apps, news apps and much more which you rarely use. Here, you can also find duplicate files related programs, security apps etc. which occupy precious storage space. The major problem with these pre-installed programs is that sometimes you can’t simply uninstall them. In that case, you can use “Windows PowerShell” command on your system to uninstall all such programs on different Windows versions.
#5. Install reliable security suite:
This is more like a preventive step which helps you keep your system performing well. Malware attacks cause serious threat to your data security and your system as a whole. When your system is affected by virus it may display symptoms like slower-than-normal system speed, programs that start automatically, unexpected messages, unnecessary sounds from hard disk etc. This is a major threat to data security worldwide. It affects your system performance negatively. If you are facing certain performance issues on your system, then installing reliable security suite can help you avoid malware threats effectively.
The biggest benefit of using Windows systems is that it works on the intuitive and user-friendly interface which helps you understand and perform different tasks seamlessly. Windows offers many built-in features to deal with various performance issues effortlessly. You can use above-mentioned steps to improve Windows performance instantly. These steps can help you deal with many performance related issues seamlessly.
Summary: Windows offers many built-in features to deal with numerous performance issues on your system. Let’s discuss ways to improve Windows performance in few simple steps.